Monday, November 24, 2008

Weekend Painting and Printmaking - November 22-23, 2008

Wow, what a great weekend. I finished my prints for my WetCanvas printmaker's Christmas swap. I am not experienced at all. The one I am sending out is actually my 4th block ever! I did a flower a few months ago, then 2 little Christmas ATCs, which I decided not to send to this group. This is the one I'm sending. It is a Snowy Egret, based very loosely on a photo that I love. I painted the scarf with watercolor. I am hoping that is not a no-no, since I am hanging with some really serious printmakers on this swap. Aw, that's how I learn.

Saturday morning, my husband slept late and I got to paint! I did 7 ATC (2.5" x 3.5") paintings for an Africa swap at WetCanvas. I felt really good about these. I got all of the references from morguefile.com, which is a royalty free photo reference site. I'll be sending an email copy of the painting to each of the contributing photographers. I really appreciate having this site to snag refrences from. WetCanvas also has a wonderful reference image library, which I use.

Funny thing about these Africa paintings. My husband usually doesn't "get" my art, or just doesn't like it. When I showed him these, he didn't want me to mail them out! He loved them and wanted me to keep them! Huh??? Now I have mixed emotions about mailing them out. I am fond of several (not all) of them, too! I guess I'll paint more than I need and keep my favorites.

I like that doing these swaps forces me to paint every day. I do a little something absolutely every morning. It is starting to show in my work. I am so happy I found WetCanvas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment