Friday, February 19, 2010

Lone Tree

“Discontent is the first step in progress. No one knows what is in him till he tries, and many would never try if they were not forced to.”
– Basil Maturin

 
Lone Tree
4″ x 6″ Acrylic on Canvas

I started with a black gessoed canvas, then painted this with layers and layers of glazes with Golden Fluid Acrylics.  This is more of the style I learned at my Don Tiller workshop in Port Townsend, WA, last November.  I have so much fun painting with acrylics, since learning  Don’s wonderful techniques.  I’ll always be grateful that I was able to attend his workshop.

About Basil Maturin

British cleric Basil Maturin, renowned for his oratory skill, was ordained as an Anglican but later converted to Catholicism. He was born in 1847 in Ireland. He ministered in Philadelphia before returning to England in 1888 to resolve his conflict about his religious identity. He died on board the Lusitania when it was sunk by a German U-boat in 1915. He was observed giving last rites as the ship sank, looking pale but calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment