Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Watercolor Weave

“Striving for perfection is the greatest stopper there is.… It’s your excuse to yourself for not doing anything. Instead, strive for excellence, doing your best.”
– Sir Laurence Olivier

Brilliant!  :!: 


 
Watercolor Weave
4″ x 6″ Weave on 5″ x 7″ Black greeting card

I learned this trick from my friend, Kordelia.  I started with two 4″ x 6″ watercolor paintings that I did a long time ago.  I cut one in 1/2″ vertical strips and the other in 1/2″ horizontal strips.  I wove them, gluing the ends, and then painted a couple layers of  transparent yellow iron oxide Golden Fluid Acrylic on it.  I finished it off with a couple coats of spray varnish, then glued it onto the black greeting card.

I’m going to send it to Kordelia, to brighten her day.  :)

About Sir Laurence Olivier

The brilliant English actor Laurence Olivier, known for roles in such films as The Entertainer, Rebecca, and Wuthering Heights, was central in founding Britain’s National Theater, and was artistic director there for ten years. He was born in 1907 in Surrey. Not a Method actor, he used external attributes to create a character. He craved performance and was depressed between jobs. He was the first actor to direct his own Oscar-winning performance, in Hamlet. He died in 1989.

2 comments:

Vickie/www.vickieleastudios.com said...

Love the quote. I like the idea of the weaved paintings...think I'll try that.

How are the flying lessons going?

Beth Parker said...

Thanks, Vicki. I love that quote, too! I am taking my FAA written exam on Monday. I am so nervous. Then I start flight lessons.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment