Friday, January 11, 2013

A Special Plaid Wine Box Tutorial

“The one important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one’s work seriously and taking one’s self seriously. The first is imperative, the second is disastrous.”
– Margot Fonteyn

Copyright Beth Parker Art 2013
Copyright Beth Parker Art 2013

A Special Plaid Wine Box

I made this wine box for my friend, Ann.  It’s made from a paper mache wine box (from Hobby Lobby) and a favorite old shirt of mine.  I loved that shirt, so when I wore it out, I washed it and put it in my fabric stash.  I used Mod Podge (by Plaid Enterprises) to put squares of fabric all over the box.  The shirt had tabs, so that when you rolled up your sleeves, you’d button them up with the tabs.  That is what I used for the front.  I removed the buttons from my shirt and hot glued them to the tab.  If you make one of these, be sure to start it below the lid edge or the lid won’t go on.   As it is, you have to use thin layers around the top and bend the box slightly to get the lid on.  I think on the next one, I may just paint around the top of the box.

I attached the collar to the lid with hot glue and added a couple buttons.  I used several coats of Outdoor Mod Podge to give it a hard surface.  (Do the collar, too)  I even hot glued the tag inside the box for an extra bit of fun.  Ann takes wine to barbeques and such, so I thought it would be the perfect gift for her.  It was hard not to keep it.  I could put a water bottle or small coffee thermos in there, in stead of wine.  :D

About Margot Fonteyn

Margot Fonteyn, the elegant British prima ballerina, is considered one of the truly great dancers of our time. She was born in 1919 in Surrey. She made her debut in 1934 as a snowflake in Nutcracker and was a leading ballerina within four years. She flirted with retirement in the late 1950′s until Rudolf Nureyev defected from the Soviet Union; he became her dancing partner for the next decade, a brilliant creative match despite their 20-year age difference. She died in February 1991.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment