Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lovingly Rusted

Too many activities, and people, and things.  Too many worthy activities, valuable things and interesting people.  For it is not merely the trivial which clutters our lives but the important as well.
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh
 
Lovingly Rusted
5″ x 7″ Golden Fluid Acrylics on Ampersand Panel

I did this one for the Acrylic forum’s monthly Different Strokes project over at WetCanvas.   I used things I learned from Don Tiller’s workshop.  Here are some of the phases….
I really enjoyed this painting.  Rust is so fun!  There are so many colors in rust.  There are the warm colors we expect, but then there’s all that blue!
1.  On a panel I had coated with black gesso, I drew lines in with chalk.  Then I painted all of the resulting shapes with Raw Sienna.
2.  I started adding colors that would end up being some kind of underpainting.  Having never taken formal art classes, I don’t know much about underpainting, so I just went with my feelings on this one.
3.  I just kept adding glazes.  When I’d find some anatomical error, I’d come back in with some black and reroute the lines, so to speak.  Then I glazed some more and glazed some more.  There are some major differences between the original and my finished painting, but that’s okay.  I had a ball!  :)

Anne Morrow Lindbergh, the widow of aviator and conservationist Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr., was a noted writer and aviation pioneer.
Born June 22, 1906 in Englewood, New Jersey, Anne Morrow Lindbergh was the daughter of businessman, ambassador, and U.S. Senator Dwight Morrow and poet and women’s education advocate Elizabeth Cutter Morrow. Her family spent summers at the seashore: Martha’s Vineyard, Cape Cod and later on the island of North Haven off the coast of Maine. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Smith College in 1928, and married Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr., on May 27, 1929.
More….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment