Friday, January 22, 2010

Studying Audubon

“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, but only saps today of its strength.”
– A. J. Cronin
(That is so true!  I used to be the queen of worry.  I like life much better without it.)

 
Studying Audubon

2.5″ x 3.5″ watercolor study of
John Audubon’s 1838 American Flamingo

I was in an ATC exchange some time ago where we studied the Masters and painted a crop or a whole painting in the style of the artist.  I learned so much during that exchange.  Some of the paintings that looked so easy, were really complicated.  This was one of my favorites.

Here is the original:

When I look at it now, I can see so many differences, but I still like it.  :)

About A. J. Cronin

Archibald Joseph Cronin, the Scottish novelist who wrote as A. J. Cronin, had a full career as a doctor before turning to fiction. He was born in 1896, worked as a Royal Navy surgeon during World War I, and later was appointed Medical Inspector of Mines in Wales. Some of his most famous books are The Citadel, The Keys of the Kingdom, and Pocketful of Rye. His works were known to reflect both his religious beliefs as a Roman Catholic and his medical training. He died in 1981.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment