Thursday, March 4, 2010

Cupcake

Hope is the thing with feathers
that perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.
–Emily Dickinson

.

Oooo, I like that quote!

Cupcake

2.5″ x 3.5″  Watercolor

I was so busy last weekend that I didn’t get much painting done, so I dug through my archives to find something for today.  Since I am on yet another diet, this cupcake appealed to me.

Emily Dickinson, regarded as one of America’s greatest poets, is also well known for her unusual life of self imposed social seclusion. Living a life of simplicity and seclusion, she yet wrote poetry of great power; questioning the nature of immortality and death, with at times an almost mantric quality. Her different lifestyle created an aura; often romanticised, and frequently a source of interest and speculation. But ultimately Emily Dickinson is remembered for her unique poetry. Within short, compact phrases she expressed far-reaching ideas; amidst paradox and uncertainty her poetry has an undeniable capacity to move and provoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment