Thursday, May 13, 2010

Block Island Lighthouse

“Mishaps are like knives, that either serve us or cut us, as we grasp them by the blade or by the handle.”
– James Russell Lowell

 

Block Island Lighthouse
4″ x 6″ Watercolor Postcard

This is not my favorite, but I thought I’d share.  I got some new Daniel Smith watercolors and tried to paint this, using only those colors.  Well, it was just too pale, so I came back in with some more colors and just overworked it.  It looks a little wobbity-jobbity, too!  :D


The colors I bought are yummy, though.  Iridescent Electric Blue, Duochrome Emerald, Duochrome Adobe and Iridescent Garnet.    I also picked up a Black Tourmaline Genuine.    I love Daniel Smith watercolors!

About James Russell Lowell

James Russell Lowell, the sometimes romantic, often ironic American poet, was also a diplomat, serving as ambassador to Spain and, later, Britain. He was born in 1819 in Massachusetts and became known as a New England poet. His satire The Bigelow Papers was his best-known work. While a professor at Harvard, he wrote critical studies of Dante, Shakespeare, and Chaucer, among others, and also served as the founding editor of the influential magazine The Atlantic Monthly. He died in 1891.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment