Monday, May 3, 2010

Following Bubba

“We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.”
– Marian Wright Edelman

 

Following Bubba
8″ x 10″ Yarka Watercolor and Pen on Bristol Smooth 100 lb.

In southeast Oklahoma, we have the Bubbas and the Gomers (according to my husband’s theory).  The Bubbas are the leaders, of sorts.  They know everything about everything…. just ask them.  The Gomers follow the Bubbas around, trying to absorb all of the knowledge, so that one day, they may be followed and admired by all.  We all need something to aspire to, right?

I didn’t remember that I had this paper.  I found it on the bookshelf in my studio Saturday.  (I think it’s actually meant for drawing.)  It was fun to work on it.  The next surface I want to try is Tyvek.  I’ve been seeing people do beautiful things with it.   :)

About Marian Wright Edelman

American activist Marian Wright Edelman, who founded the Children’s Defense Fund (CDF) as a voice for poor, minority, and handicapped children, was the first African-American woman to practice law in Mississippi. She was born in 1939 in South Carolina. Her father, a Baptist preacher, died when she was 14; his last words to her were, “Don’t let anything get in the way of your education.” She graduated from Yale Law School in 1963. Her many awards include the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment