Monday, March 7, 2011

Calla Lily

“What is harder than rock, or softer than water? Yet soft water hollows out hard rock. Persevere.”
– Ovid



Calla Lily

I remember this one!  The challenge was to paint from life… no photo.  I am not experienced in this at all.  I’ve tried to do it since then and I really do like it, but I paint mostly from photos.  When I get some time under my belt in an airplane, I want to fly to Indiana and plein air paint with Leslie White.  :D

Sunday, I flew by myself from McAlester to Eufaula (where I circled around the airport, but did not land) then on to Muskogee and back to McAlester.  I found every airport easily and had a great time.   Two hours of pure joy!  I even took some photos and am going to upload them to Facebook.  All the water (if you go by to look) is Lake Eufaula.  It stretches into 5 counties, although I only covered 3 counties in my flight.    Wheeeee!

About Ovid

Publius Ovidius Naso, the Roman poet known as Ovid, best known for the epic Metamorphoses, is considered one of the greatest poets of Latin literature. He was born in 43 B.C. in what is now Italy. He rose quickly in Roman government and was on track to become a senator when he chose to devote himself to poetry instead. His tale of Pyramus and Thisbe is the source for Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. Emperor Augustus exiled Ovid from Rome for unknown reasons in 8 A.D.; he died in exile in 17 A.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment