Monday, July 18, 2011

Patio ala Masa

“All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without the benefit of experience.”
– Henry Miller

(Kinda like painting on masa.)



Patio ala Masa – 8″ x 10″ Watercolor on Masa Paper
I loved this reference by JustJean at WetCanvas.  I painted it on masa that had a thin coat of  Mod Podge on the surface.  The paintings I posted last week didn’t have any medium on the surface and this was much easier.  The paper is less fragile and you can blot off color, where the uncoated masa is too fragile and the paint is permanent once it hits the paper. I would have used acrylic matte medium, but I didn’t have any.   For some reason, I seem to have plenty of Mod Podge.   :)

This was pure pleasure to paint.  I especially love how the fence looks.  Check out Leslie White’s fence here.  Leslie’s painting  is what inspired me.

About Henry Miller

The bohemian American novelist Henry Miller is best known for his sexually daring autobiographical novels, Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn, and for his love affair with benefactor Anaïs Nin. He was born in 1891 in New York. His writing blossomed after he moved to Paris in 1930 but was banned in the United States for its erotic content. Miller eventually won the right to publish in the U.S., becoming an icon of the sexual revolution. He died in 1980 in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment