Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tulsa Int’l Airport Plein Air

“A sense of humor… is needed armor.  Joy in one’s heart and some laughter on one’s lips is a sign that the person down deep has a pretty good grasp of life.”
–Hugh Sidey

Right on!!



Tulsa Int’l Airport Plein Air – 4″ x 6″ Watercolor Sketch

When I was waiting for my departure from Tulsa, to go to Jackson Hole, I did this little sketch.  Before I even finished drawing the plane… it backed out and left!   So, to continue, I just made stuff up.  :D
Sunday afternoon, I resumed my flying.  I haven’t flown in three months because it’s been so dang hot!  They are selling the plane in Muskogee, so my instructor  met me in McAlester and flew with me, so he could re-endorse me for solo flight.  I did great!  I had some beautiful landings and even got a compliment from my instructor.    (Those do not come freely!)  It was a great day.

I’m ready to get busy and finish this thing up and get my license.  I’ll be doing a lot of studying and very little art, until I am done.  I may post some older paintings for a while, just to keep my little positive quotes in front of you.  I’d hate for you to forget to wiggle your butt.  :D

Hugh Sidey  1927 – 2005

Hugh Sidey, who covered the White House and the American Presidency for TIME for close to half a century, died in 2005 in Paris of a heart attack. He was 78. Born and raised in Iowa, Sidey came to understand the presidents of the last 48 years as well as anyone. He was with Kennedy in Dallas and Nixon in China. He was the iconic insider, staying close to many presidents even after they left the White House, becoming great friends with Ronald Reagan and George Herbert Walker Bush.

A fourth-generation journalist and son of a country editor in Greenfield, Iowa, Sidey never became a prisoner of the Beltway. He’d often go home to Iowa to listen and learn what Americans were thinking. He was among the first print journalists on regular television, appearing on the late Agronsky & Company. As he scaled back his work for TIME, he continued to be deeply involved in the life of the White House. He was active in the White House Historical Association and co-wrote a book, The Presidents of the United States of America, that is a good history of the men and the office.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment