Thursday, June 21, 2012

Practice Sock Monkey

“The point is not to pay back kindness but to pass it on.”
– Julia Alvarez

Copyright Beth Parker Art 2012

Steel Daffodils Practice Sock Monkey

I painted this little dude while trying to see if I could paint a sock monkey with his legs crossed.  Ya gotta love sock monkeys.  They are just the purest form of a childhood toy, that’s okay to keep (or make, or buy) as an adult.  I made a sock monkey for my hubby when we were first together.  I was shocked that he grew up poor and didn’t know what a sock monkey was.  I had one.  My mom was great that way!   She taught me to sew very young and by the time I was in junior high, I was making my own school clothes.  I still love to sew, but I have very little time for it these days.

About Julia Alvarez

Dominican-American author Julia Alvarez is best known for her novels, How the García Girls Lost Their Accents, about sisters adjusting to life in the US, and In the Time of the Butterflies, the tragic life story of the anti-Trujillo activists, the Mirabal sisters. Born in New York in 1950, she was raised in the Dominican Republic until she was ten, when her family fled the country. She and her husband live in Vermont and run a sustainable coffee farm/literacy center in the Dominican Republic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment