Wednesday, March 13, 2013

New York City – 5″ x 7″ Work in Progress

“How can disappointments be opportunities to grow? When we feel thwarted, frustrated or empty it is difficult – but not impossible – to see the positive side of our pain.Most disappointments come from a sense of failure when our expectations of ourselves or others are not met. 
 
If we can work through our initial response or source of frustration that lies within ourselves, we are taking the right steps toward turning our hurts and fears into growth-filled experiences.Do we have unrealistic expectations of ourselves or approval of us? 
 
Have we sold ourselves short by placing our entire self-worth on our jobs, paychecks, or possessions? Have we accepted negative feelings about ourselves, or do we see ourselves as capable human beings?
  TODAY I will probe the sources of my self-esteem. I will seek my happiness within myself, not in other people, places, or things.”

– Liane Cordes (from the book – The Reflecting Pond)

Copyright Beth Parker Art 2013
Copyright Beth Parker Art 2013

New York City – 5″ x 7″ Work in Progress

This is the painting I am working on now.  I thought it would be fun to show you some progress shots.  Fist I do a pencil drawing, then come back in with ink.  I use Staedtler pigment liners.   They are archival quality, fade-resistant  and acid-free.

On this one, I came in with the sky and water first.  I often save the sky for last and I think this way is better.  I wet the area then bring the color in.   Everything after the liner is watercolor.  I have some teensie tiny itty bitty brushes.  It feels like it would be cheating if I used colored markers.

See the building to the right of the tall purple building?  That puppy took me an hour all by itself, just to paint the color in.  I’m getting close to finishing, so I should be able to show you the finished painting before the week is out.  :)

The reference photo is by MissMouse at WetCanvas.  She provided it to the Reference Image Library for artists’ use.  If you haven’t checked it out, you should.   It’s an amazing source of inspiration.

“The Reflecting Pond” is a collection of meditations that takes one subject at a time and covers it in depth. Whether we have a concern about self-acceptance, fear, friendship, or love, there is a chapter full of understanding thoughts. Used as an extra dose of support on specific issues, this book will help us think through day-to-day living problems. An excellent resource for those in aftercare programs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment