Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lions for the Artswebshow Challenge

Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man’s training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly.
- Thomas H. Huxley, 1825-1895


 

The Shy Lion
4″ x 6″ Watercolor

We have been invited to a challenge over at the Artswebshow blog, to paint or draw this lion.  I painted this one first and thought he looked kinda sweet and shy.  Then….



The Cowardly Lion
4″ x 6″ Watercolor

I think this one looks like the Cowardly Lion on The Wizard of Oz.  I quit while I was ahead.   Then….



The Lion in Bethville
4″ x 6″ Watercolor

This one felt more like me.  I had a great time doing this.  If you want to see a terrific lion, go over to Leslie White’s blog and see hers.  It’s amazing!  There may be more, but I have been so busy that I haven’t been able to get around and visit my favorite blogs.  I’m going to try to make some time, because they always brighten my day!  :)


Thomas H. Huxley

Thomas Henry Huxley PC FRS (4 May 1825 – 29 June 1895) was an English biologist, known as “Darwin’s Bulldog” for his advocacy of Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.[1]
Huxley’s famous 1860 debate with Samuel Wilberforce was a key moment in the wider acceptance of evolution, and in his own career. Huxley had been planning to leave Oxford on the previous day, but, after an encounter with Robert Chambers, the author of Vestiges, he changed his mind and decided to join the debate. Wilberforce was coached by Richard Owen, against whom Huxley also debated whether humans were closely related to apes.   More…..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment