Thursday, April 4, 2013

Purple Dachshund and Copyright Ethics

“I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate. It is, after all, to matter: to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all.”
– Leo Rosten

Copyright Beth Parker Art 2013
Copyright Beth Parker Art 2013

Purple Dachshund

I painted this a couple years ago for a neighbor.  She was giving it to her friend to put in her cubicle at work.  I recently received a message about this little painting that I really appreciated.

“Hi there! I was searching the web for pictures of purple dachshunds for a graduate video class I am currently taking and found some of your art work. I was wondering if I could use a clip of your purple dachshund art at the end of my video. My video group is called Purple Doxie Productions. It would only be shown for a 6 second clip. I wanted to be kind and ask permission, rather than just steal your image. I think that it is wrong to use someone’s creative work without asking. I would also put your information in the credits. Would this be ok? Ali Kelly”

I love that she was concerned about creative copyright.  Of course, I not only gave her permission, but sent her a higher res photo.  Neat, huh!  :)

About Leo Rosten

 

Leo Rosten, the Polish-American academic and author, is best known for his seminal The Joys of Yiddish, an amusing look at Yiddish words that have entered the American vernacular. Born in Lodz, Poland, on April 11, 1908, he immigrated to Chicago as a child. He wrote dozens of books, including a set of extremely popular humorous stories about Hyman Kaplan, a night-school student struggling with English. Under the pseudonym Leonard Q. Ross, he wrote mysteries and film noir screenplays. He died on February 19, 1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment