Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Lily

“Consistency is only a paste jewel that cheap men cherish.”
– William Allen White

 
Lily
4″ x 6″ Acrylic on Blick Canvas Panel

I wasn’t too sure I liked that quote, when I first saw it.  I like consistency, I thought.   The norms, like bills being paid on time and the car always starting when I turn the key are some pretty great consistencies.  But to have everything be always predictable and in harmony would be rather dull.  I like the stuff in life that makes my brain come alive and my butt wiggle.

con·sis·tency (kən sistən sē)
noun pl. consistencies -·cies
    1. the condition of holding together; firmness or thickness, as of a liquid
    2. amount or degree of this oil of the wrong consistency
  1. agreement; harmony; logical connection arguments lacking consistency
  2. agreement with what has already been done or expressed; conformity with previous practice
Hmmmm, lovely to have stuff to ponder.  :)


About William Allen White

William Allen White, the American newsman who ran the Emporia Gazette, is known for his essay attacking populism, “What’s the Matter With Kansas,” and for his eulogy for his 17-year-old daughter, Mary. He was born in Kansas in 1868. During college, he wrote letters to a grocer, a merchant, and a newspaper editor asking for work. The first two turned him down, so he ended up in journalism. He won a Pulitzer Prize in 1923 and is considered one of the most influential Kansans in history. He died in 1944.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment