Thursday, April 22, 2010

Quiet Farm

“True silence is the rest of the mind; it is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment.”
– William Penn

 

Quiet Farm
4″ x 6″ Watercolor Postcard

This was a fun little card to do.  I wanted the buildings to be kind of off kilter and playful, but I got a little too mired in the detail and forgot the whimsy.   I seem to only have succeeded in making the buildings a little crooked.  :)


Funny thing, my husband likes my realistic paintings a lot better than my normal (ha ha ha …normal???) style.  When he sees my bright colored fun paintings, he gives me the fake smile and small nod that many of us recognize.

Lesson #4 in my flying adventure last night.  The storms stayed away long enough for me to get a lesson in, so off I went.  I did a bunch of multitasking last in my 1.3 hour lesson.  Okay, here’s an example of one of my touch and go operations.  Are your seat belts fastened? :)


Accelerate to 55 knots then pull back on the yolk to take off, but don’t pull back too far or you’ll stall.  Get your altitude to about 1500 ft,  while keeping the plane straight and level.  (keep the nose up, keep climbing,  rudder, ailerons, rudder *sigh*)  Then make a 90 degree turn and proceed to about 1800 ft,  (keeping the nose up and plane level and straight) then turn 90 degrees left, while taking out some power, keeping the nose down or up (to keep the horizon line in the right place) and decrease power to about 2100 rpm, aiming for a 90 knot airspeed.  When you are level with the end of the runway, add carb heat and slow to 85 knots, flaps at 10, and turn 90 degrees left for the base leg.  Then, flaps at 20, keep the nose down (putting flaps in makes the nose rise), reduce airspeed some, make 90 degree turn into final, flaps at 30, reduce airspeed, keep the nose down,  (not too far) center up with runway, keep it at the right altitude, after going over the highway, pull the throttle almost all the way out and head for the landing, keep the nose up, full flaps, throttle all the way out, let it kind of settle above the runway then pull back the throttle and land, pull back, pull back, pull back… whew! ….. carb heat in, flaps all the way up, yoke in, full throttle to 55 knots and pull back to take off again……

I think I did that (or something like it *giggle*) about 6 times.  I did have to go around once, because I was too high.  (no… not on drugs, just in altitude. he he)  All in all, it was a very good night and I was exhausted when I got in my truck to go home.  Then a 45 minute drive home.  Whew!  How much fun is that?  :)

About William Penn

William Penn is remembered as the founder of Pennsylvania; the democratic government he set up became the model for the United States Constitution. He was born in 1644 in England. After he was arrested several times for preaching Quaker ideals, he decided to found a settlement in America. He drew up the “Great Treaty” with the Delaware Indians to ensure they were paid fairly for their land and toured Europe marketing the new colony. He died in 1718.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment