Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Thailand Balloon Ride I

“It’s not what you are, but what you don’t become that hurts.”
– Oscar Levant



Thailand Balloon Ride I
Gouache on 5″ x 7″  Black Photo Mount Card

To follow along with the quote… this little black photo mount card wasn’t satisfied to be just that.  It wanted to be the surface for a painting.  :)   The photo reference came from Dewi at WetCanvas.  She took it from a hot air balloon.  The photo was rather dark, so it inspired me to play with my gouache.  I had a great time. 

Tomorrow, I’ll show you the other view from her balloon.

About Oscar Levant

Oscar Levant was a brilliant musician whose work was often overshadowed by his witty, neurotic persona. He was born in 1906 in Pittsburgh and moved with his mother to New York in 1922 to study music, gaining renown as a concert pianist before his twentieth birthday. He composed the scores for more than 20 movies in the years 1929 to 1948. He appeared in movies such as An American in Paris and hosted a TV talk show for two years; the show was taken off the air due to his risqué comments. He died in 1972.

1 comment:

Logo design said...

I like the substance of the quote. It simply speaks that reality really hurts. Only that the photo is never clear to me. I mean its relevance with the quote.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment